Okay, so I'm a total rookie at this, but after seeing the cool blogs that Auntie Shelley and friends have created, I just have to give it a try.
The past 2 weeks have been busy with Jan Ken Po Gakko, a Japanese culture school for kids from 1st through 6th grade. Not only do Lindsey (3rd grade) and Emily (1st grade) attend, but I was somehow persuaded to be one of the teachers! The first week was rough, but now that we are approaching the end of the 2nd week I am really enjoying the students and their cute little personalities. We've learned Japanese words and songs, made tons of origami, participated in a fun "Undokai" (sports festival), enjoyed Japanese folktales read by "bachan" storytellers, and have cooked and tasted new Japanese food every day at recess time. The only real tough part has been bearing the 108 degree temperatures in a classroom WITHOUT A/C. I think today is the end of the heat wave, so the last week should be smooth sailing. I know I'm going to miss my little students, so I guess the "teacher " in me will never go away.
1 comment:
I am so happy you are "blogging" : ) You forgot to mention that my son thinks you are the BEST teacher ever!!! When asked what his favorite thing was about Jan Ken Po,...... "Because Auntie Ellen is my teacher, she is so nice"!! Best Sensei ever!!!!
Post a Comment