So I'm feeling very "retro" these days - probably from spending so much time on Facebook reconnecting with old friends that date as far back as junior high. I've dug through a "SAVE" box from my parents' house that's full of old yearbooks, diaries, and photos.
It's really cool to read my diary entries from 1979 (10 years old). Here are some highlights:
"Sharon gave me candy for my Xmas preent! Fun dip, PEZ refills, and volcano rocks."
"Today Stanton cried a really lot because he didn't get the shoes he wanted for his birthday."
"Today we saw Eight is Enough- 2 hour special. At the end I thought I knew what was going to happen, but Dad turned it off."
"Brian just got hit on the ear and I think it hurt. Mom didn't care, and she's in a bad mood."
"I love Beauty (our dog) a lot and I hope he does not die soon (he didn't die until many years later)."
"Today we had a basketball game. We lost 2-4, but I made the 1 basket."
"I hope I'm sick tomorrow so I can skip band, but I won't trick."
"Today was Dad's birthday. We went to Sizzler. I gave Daddy a card, Sharon gave him a card, and Rina gave him two stickers."
"I just played Blockhead with Rina and she won but she cheated a lot."
"We watched Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley, Three's Company, and Taxi on T.V. from 8:00-10:00! Mom and Dad came back late, that's why."
By reading my old diary, I'm feeling a bit more empathetic towards Lindsey (8 years old) and her issues with homework (looks like I, too, misplaced it ALL the time) and TV time (sounds like I watched a ton).
I found some "My Friend Mandy" dolls for sale on craigslist and I snatched them up for my girls. And, lo and behold, they were made in 1978! I hope my girls love them as much as Rina and I did.
"Today we had a basketball game. We lost 2-4, but I made the 1 basket."
"I hope I'm sick tomorrow so I can skip band, but I won't trick."
"Today was Dad's birthday. We went to Sizzler. I gave Daddy a card, Sharon gave him a card, and Rina gave him two stickers."
"I just played Blockhead with Rina and she won but she cheated a lot."
"We watched Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley, Three's Company, and Taxi on T.V. from 8:00-10:00! Mom and Dad came back late, that's why."
By reading my old diary, I'm feeling a bit more empathetic towards Lindsey (8 years old) and her issues with homework (looks like I, too, misplaced it ALL the time) and TV time (sounds like I watched a ton).
I found some "My Friend Mandy" dolls for sale on craigslist and I snatched them up for my girls. And, lo and behold, they were made in 1978! I hope my girls love them as much as Rina and I did.
No comments:
Post a Comment