Sunday, June 5, 2011

Wait...when did that happen?!

From the time my kids were born, I constantly heard, "Enjoy it - they grow up too fast!" I guess I was too busy keeping up with kid after kid to stop and ponder that statement. I was just anxious to have them all potty-trained, in preschool, and able to dress themselves, hoping for some bit of relief Mommy duties.

Well, while sorting through laundry this morning, it finally hit me. I had to do a double-take on a pair of jeans. Mine or Lindsey's? Yup - in 11 short years, she has slowly but surely become more of an teenager than a kid. There were subtle changes in the last couple of years:


"Ew - I don't wear pink."


"Yea, go ahead and clear out most of the stuffed animals in my room."


"I can't think of anything I want for my birthday. Can I have cash?"


"The 'kids' are too noisy. Would you shut my door?"


"I can't find mine - can I borrow your zoris?"


"No, I don't want you to read me a bedtime story. I'll just read on my own."


"May I have more salad?" (When did she start liking salad?!)


"Look, Baachan! I'm taller than you!"



Ugh. I guess I have to accept it. Instead of missing my little girl, I have to enjoy the brief moments of childish behavior she occasionally displays:


"Where's MY kiss and hug?" (when I say good-night)


"Can you cut the crust off my sandwich?"


"Mooooommy! We made up a song for you!" (but if I videotape it, she says, "Don't put that on Facebook!")


Lucky for her, I had technical difficulties, so I oouldn't post the crazy song and dance she made up for me. I will, however, add a goofy photo to document her silliness...


I love you, Lindsey girl!

No comments: